Saturday, April 26, 2014

Candy Darling

 
A lot of what I do here is ferry facts across from Wikipedia add a couple of pictures and publish. Still, it's a public service of sorts. Making Sheila Take a Bow song of the day a couple of days back made me curious about Candy Darling its cover star. Fascinating, incendiary life and the inspiration for much great music and art.
 
 
 
1. Walk on the Wild Side most obviously. Still doesn't seem right that Lou's not here anymore. Candy gets a verse to herself along with other notable Factory dignitaries as Holly Woodlawn, Joe Dallesandro, Jackie Curtis and Joe Campbell. Remarkably the B Side to the single of this was Perfect Day. That's the way to do it!
 
2. Candy Says
 
 
 
While we're with Lou this is just a quite beautiful song. The first song on the Velvet's great self-titled third album. Sung by John Cale's replacement Doug Yule though you might not know it. I didn't work this out until a couple of years ago. It sounds like Lou to me.
 
Candy says I've come to hate my body
And all that it requires in this world
Candy says I'd like to know completely
What others so discretely talk about

I'm gonna watch the blue birds fly over my shoulder
I'm gonna watch them pass me by
Maybe when I'm older
What do you think I'd see
If I could walk away from me

Candy says I hate the quiet places
That cause the smallest taste of what will be
Candy says I hate the big decisions
That cause endless revisions in my mind
Lou Reed
 
3. Citadel
 
 
'Candy and Taffy, hope we both are well
Please come see me in the citadel.'
 
From Their Satanic Majesties Request. Not sure what they were thinking agreeing to wear those hats. I'm sure Charlie wasn't happy. The songs chorus pays tribute to Candy and friend Taffy Titz. Taffy Titz!?!
 
4. Lola
 
 
Yes. This one too!
 
5. I am a Bird Now
 
 
One of the great images! Peter Hujar's 'Candy Darling on her Deathbed' was used as the cover image of Anthony & the Johnson's 2005 album.
 
And plenty of others. Candy Darling died of Lymphoma at the age of 29. In a letter written on her deathbed for Andy Warhol and others she wrote, "Unfortunately before my death I had no desire left for life... I am just so bored by everything. You might say bored to death. Did you know I couldn't last. I always knew it. I wish I could meet you all again." A friend of Warhol's said it was the first time he'd seen him cry on hearing the news of her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment