Thursday, May 15, 2014

Great American Bands of the Eighties # 9 - Mission of Burma

 
Great band names of the '80s too.
 
'Incorporating the avant-rock of underground Cleveland bands like Pere Ubu, the angular slash-and-burn of the English post-punks, the trance repetition of German bands like Can and Neu, and the aggressive propulsion of The Ramones, Mission of Burma , invented a new way to snarl, wrote critic Rob Sheffield, 'the sound that American bands have been tinkering with ever since.'
 
From Michael Azerrad's indispensable 'Our Band Could Be Your Life'.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I know Rob Sheffield. We were friends in graduate school. He's a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Do you have that book?. I think it's great. And what do you think of Mission of Burma?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't. I like Mission of Burma, at least in their first incarnation. I didn't hear their comeback stuff, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither have I. The book is wonderful. An education. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete