Friday, June 20, 2014

Garage Discoveries # 7 The Starfires

'Why you guys always teasing me?'
 
One of the rarest Garage classics from mid-sixties LA group. Here's Bobby Gillespie:
 
'When I joined the Jesus and Mary Chain: I Never Loved Her, The Starfires (1965)
In 1983 this guy in Glasgow sent me a tape with four songs on one side: 'Inside Me', 'Never Understand', 'In a Hole' and 'Upside Down', all by the Jesus and Mary Chain. I was like, 'Where the fuck is this coming from? It's incredible.' There was a number on the tape, and it was for [bass player] Douglas Hart's mum's house. Douglas then sent me another tape with 'I Never Loved Her' on it. I love it. But my favourite band of that era is the Chocolate Watchband, who sound like the Rolling Stones added to a nuclear bomb. I love the energy of those garage bands.'
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment