Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Songs About People # 19 - Frans Hals - McCarthy

 
Eighties indie band McCarthy. Guitarist Tim Gane went on to form Stereolab one of the best bands of their era. Like much independent music at that time they were highly political, unlike many of these bands McCarthy were also highly melodic. I was led to this by the fine opening passage of Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' where there is a huge explosion in a New York art gallery amongst the Dutch masters.
 
'They calculate how much it takes to starve a rat
And send it out to me
Sleeping in the trash
Begrudging everything
They're keen to deal with me
So yesterday I
This land informs me

These are better days
You stop your money
There's no more money
We've already paid
We're making money
I said you're joking

The rich are out to get to me
They want to see me hung drawn and quartered
You bastards gave me
And I will pinch you dry
It's not much to do
It's all I can do
But one day soon
The poor will deal with you

Make your will out mate
They know your names and they know your faces
Make your will out mate
They know your names and they know your faces
They will deal with you
They'll really deal with you'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment