Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vinyl Purchase # 16 Neil Young & Crazy Horse

17/09/14 £10.00 Third Eye Record Stall, Canterbury
 
When you've got a reasonably sized record collection like I have, going second-hand record shopping feels like searching around to fix holes that you weren't sure you had, but this is one that I've at least subconsciously been looking for on vinyl for a while. It's an odd, eccentric record with that raw, gritty, dirty lived in sound that only Young and Crazy Horse could really do. I love it!
 
The Third Eye Shop in Canterbury is the kind of shop, (really a set of stalls), that has existed in a similar shape or form, all over the country, for over fifty years and hopefully always will. Joss sticks, bongs, vaguely Gothy aura, band t-shirts general related paraphenelia,  and great second-hand record stalls. It's the kind of place I trawled through for albums when I was sixteen and it's a joy to have somewhere in town like this to stop off at when I come down to see my folks. I'm almost fifty but don't give a fig. I imagine I'll do this pretty much as long as I'm alive.
 
Of course the real key to these places is the person behind the stall. Someone to swop anecdotes with while you're browsing, compare impressions of records with, talk about stuff. The essence of life.Those who collect records know what I mean. The bloke at the Third Eye Record Stall is just a star in this respect. It's clear he's been doing it most of his life and has no plans to stop now. In the couple of visits I made to his stall on this trip we discussed The Smiths, Guillermo Del Toro, Tennessee Williams, The Stranglers, Dylan's Self Portrait, Morricone soundtracks, the Bunnymen and more. At the end of my trawling he let me have this wonderful album, in great condition with inner sleeve and lyric sheet for a tenner. Basically because I'm a loyal customer. We probably both knew the going price was twice that.It's a delightful thing to own and goes fairly close to the top of the list of things to write more about when I get back to Toon and can play it.
 
Many thanks Paul! Appreciated!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment