Friday, October 10, 2014

Song of the Day # 265 The Growlers

 
'You think that you know more. About being, being, lonely. Well I get so lonely. No-one's around to hold me hold me.'
 
The Growlers are a band from Orange Country, California who have released a series of records on a regular basis over the last few years and are often labelled by those in the know as Beach Goth This comes from their shortly to be released album Chinese Fountain which has already rattled the cages of established fans of  the group's earlier sound and cries of 'sell out' resound down the threads of Youtube under virtually every album track.
 
'Oh throw me a bone. Give me, give me something, something I can use. Or just leave me alone'
 
I didn't know they existed until yesterday, when I chanced upon the record and was very impressed by it. If 'selling out' implies writing more concise, well-crafted songs that will appeal to a broader audience and sell more records then good luck to the band. I think this is excellent.
 
'There's nothing as depressing. As good advice. Nobody, wants to hear, how to live their life.'
 
Precisely! It has a personality. It has a bagful of immediate hooks which it builds on, sustains and exploits richly. It knows and respects it's history, garage rock, surf, country and slacker pop. It says what it wants and then leaves within three and a half minutes. It makes you feel you almost know the band. That they're brats, and possibly spoilt ones, impossibly fond of themselves, but that's just as it should be. The talent is there. I tip my hat to them. It's the kind of track that makes this series a pure joy, looking for something new to post every day. It's Song of the Day # 264, it's Friday and the weekend is almost here! The Growlers have sold out. And I've just discovered them.

No comments:

Post a Comment