Monday, April 6, 2015

Song of the Day # 443 Silver Jews



' 1984. I was hospitalised for approaching perfection.'

At the Courtney Barnett gig last week at Newcastle University, (it was great, I need to review it), support act Fraser A. Gorman, covered this. The original is here for the lyrics as much as anything. So is this, from 2008's Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea. I could have chosen any number of tracks from that wonderful record but this edged it, purely on the basis of the St.Bernard line. Highly recommended..

'Send us your co-ordinates. I'll send a St. Bernard.'

4 comments:

  1. I saw the Silver Jews live a few years back, when David Berman very briefly overcame his fear and loathing of touring, and they played in the town where I was living at the time. It was in fact a town where he himself had lived for many years a lot earlier, so there was a very enthusiastic crowd there to welcome him back. It really was a terrific show. I miss them still. Such a good band. And so much better than Pavement, with whom they share a strong connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Luna did a good cover of this song, I seem to recall. Or was it Dean Wareham on his own? Either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just know the Lookout Mountain album and the song I posted but they're both quite wonderful. Must seek out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete