Saturday, June 27, 2015

Song of the Day # 524 Robb Storme & The Whispers


Spent yesterday away from my local watching the first evening of Glastonbury 2015. Nowadays, the whole thing is an enormous communal, oh yes and corporate, (there's no getting away from it), global spectacle. Much of it passed me by. The headliners mean nothing to me. Hey I'm an almost fifty year old man. I imagine no-one would be able to explain the appeal of Florence & The Machine. After trying and failing to find any entry point for twenty minutes in the emotional bluster of their performance I turned the volume off and listened to Born Sandy Devotional and Fables of the Reconstruction instead which places me well and truly in a particular time and space. Both records came out in 1985. Only thirty years away from the here and now!

I don't imagine tonight's headliner Kanye West will impact on me any more favourably, but hey I'll give it a go. Then there's The Who tomorrow night. Naturally, I've got a lot more time for them. I put Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and Pinball Wizard on last night as the sun went down and they sounded great. But there are two of them left now and it does matter. Still they're on my mind at the moment as they're featuring on the television a fair bit in expectation of their set and there's an enormous feature on them in this month's Mojo which arrived yesterday. So here's where they stole the bass line for Substitute.Discovered that from Mojo of course.It sounds like it could fill up a Northern Soul dancefloor.The rest of the song's not shabby either.

No comments:

Post a Comment