Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Songs Heard on the Radio # 66 Younghusband


I love the moments when I'm sitting at my desk as the evening darkens when I suddenly hear something new, at least new to me, coming out of the radio, look up and the song takes my whole attention and I concentrate my full focus on it. Love it even more if I then go on a search and can post that song on here. I can tell you nothing whatsoever about Younghusband except that this track demonstrates they have an occasional, very nice turn of phrase and an understanding of chord and melodic changes sufficiently well to make the likes of me turn their heads and take notice. I'll give it another listen in a while to try to work out exactly what it is I liked so much about it. In the meantime it goes out there to you to see if you agree.


PS I've noticed on playing the link I've posted here that there's some background information about the band before the song starts courtesy of 6 Music DJ Marc Riley. The fact that Wire are fans of the band is recommendation enough. In explanation of my immediate attraction to this I'd say that the way it is constructed gives a good indication that the band has a proper understanding of how pop songs were put together in the sixties.

No comments:

Post a Comment