Thursday, December 24, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 10- 6


10. Teenage Fanclub


'I know. I can't believe. There's something about you. Got me down on my knees...'

Of course Teenage Fanclub were always going to be here. And always with this. Stops at 1 minute 59 seconds. There you go!

9. Dwight Twilley Band


'All my life I've been looking for the magic..'

I bought the album this hails from yesterday. One of the best records ever to be housed in a truly dreadful sleeve. This was always highly prominent in remaindered bins of second hand record stores in my early record buying years. The album I remember most in that particular. There were always scores of copies of this. I should have had the sense to buy it then.

8. Shoes


' I didn't mean to call and shake you up...'

While we're on a theme, this was an album I did have the sense to buy way back when, at some point in the eighties. It must have been on a whim because I would have had no idea whether it was any good or not. Sometimes you had to go on a hunch in those days. The whole record is a drop dead classic of its kind. Recorded in a living room in Zion, Illinois in 1977. Many highly presentable candidates to choose from it, but it would be this one.

7. Badfinger


'Guess I got what I deserve...'

From one of the great, small cult bands to one of the saddest band stories of all. It's all there online if you want to find out about it, but hey it's Christmas. I'll just post the song.

6. Cheap Trick


'Get out on the street. You got nothing to lose...'

From one real Power Pop mainstay to another. That's the point we've got to by now. From their fine 1977 record In Color

No comments:

Post a Comment