Tuesday, December 22, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 20-16


20. The dBs


'I guess I just don't enjoy you anymore...'

One of a number of bands I was tipped to by R.E.M. in their early interviews on them first coming to the UK in 1983. Opening track of their 1981 album Stands For Decibels.

19. Marshall Crenshaw


'There she goes again with another guy...'

Sounds like a bit of a slapper to me Marshall! Marshall Crenshaw, always fairly close to the top of the list of any standard Power Pop list and for good reason. A consummate, neat songwriter.

18. The Raspberries


'And the fingers on your throat get sore. But they're also begging out for more...'

Also, generally on the same list though this may not be among the songs generally chosen. A tale of life on the road. Nicely done.

17. The Cars


'When she's dancing 'neath the stormy skies. She'll make you flip...'

Richard Lloyd claimed on hearing the first Cars records that Television realised that here were the band that had arrived to claim their commercial thunder. After all, who wouldn't prefer a Car to a Television? The advent of the New Wave.

16. Ramones


'Chewin' at a rhythm on my bubble gum.  The sun is out and I want some...'

I imagine Ramones weren't best pleased either. Though any world where this wasn't a huge, huge hit needs to take a long, hard look at itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment