Monday, December 14, 2015

100 Power Pop Songs Countdown # 60-56


60. Sugar


'How can I explain away. Something that I haven't done...'

Despite the heaviness of so much of it, much of Bob Mould's stuff, whether in Husker Du, Sugar or his solo records is pretty close to Power Pop. Certainly this, among the softest and gentlest things he ever did. From 1992's quite perfect Copper Blue.

59. Split Enz

'Nobody listens to a word I say. And at work I'm just a foreman's tool. Sitting in the corner with my coffee and tray. All the secretaries think I'm a fool...'

There's one in every office. From the wonderful bunch of pioneers. The first New Zealand band to make it big and probably had a significant influence on the formation of the wonderful Flying Nun Record Label and its fabulous set of bands that I'm constantly banging on about here. From 1980's True Colours. I could have chosen any number of songs from this album.

58. Del Fuegos


'Dark room small talk. Jukebox spins another disc...'

More pent up frustration and resentment. Boston's Del Fuegos, who spent a while on Slash Records in the eighties.

57. Cavedogs

'Pointed speech just flows right through my head. Leaving me with wounds from what you said...'

Another Boston band. From later in the eighties. Not a million miles from The Smithereens who are coming latter. A fabulous instrumental section at the close of the song here. For some reason you get a clip of a bunch of vintage cars along with the song above. Some people post the oddest things.

56. The Go-Gos

'There's a weapon that we must use in our defence. Silence...'

A much underrated band. Could it be because they were girls and played pop music. This in itself is a minor masterpiece. And I'm perfectly serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment