Wednesday, May 25, 2016

100 Mavericks # 83 Nick Drake

                                 'No-one knows you. But the rain and the air...'

There are a very few moments when you hear something you've never heard before and your heart stops. It happens very rarely in life. Such was the case for me in the late eighties when I went with my younger sister to my older brother's flat in North London. His flatmate had the recently bought Nick Drake's re-released box set Fruit Tree, a collection of the three released Nick Drake albums plus another album of unheard tracks. My brother put it on. It was the first time I'd ever heard anything by him. This is the track I remember.

Since then Nick Drake has risen to the surface and become part of the general conversation. Brad Pitt, Angelica Jolie and pretty much everyone else are fans. But it's still worth remembering where you were when you first heard this ghostly, other-worldly music, and started to appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment