Wednesday, July 20, 2016

100 Mavericks # 28 Randy Newman


A craftsman, but nevertheless belongs here. A Hoagy Carmichael for our times. Newman's the classic observer, and he inhabits the characters he observes in his songs so consummately that it's generally impossible to see the join. Writes repeatedly on the dumb stupidity of racism and how central it is to the human condition. There's an interesting article here trying to distinguish Newman lyrics from Donald Trump quotes. Enough to say that Newman is certainly smarter than you and I. I won't speak of Trump. Like all great comic writers of any kind he's essentially deeply serious. But maverick nevertheless.


1 comment:

  1. Great to be here in your article or post, whatever, I figure I ought to likewise buckle down for my own site like I see some great and refreshed working in your site. june birthstones

    ReplyDelete