Friday, December 30, 2016

Vinylstore.Jr Canterbury


A new independent record store has opened in Canterbury, where my parents live and where I am at the moment, visiting for Christmas. The arrival of such a shop is a source of joy for the likes of me. It's probably the first of its type for almost twenty years. It comes complete with its own record shop owner, the kind you feel who has set out on this enterprise partially and perhaps largely for the music related conversations it will allow him to have with customers and the records it will allow him to play during his time at 'work'. This is just as it should be. During my couple of visits over the holiday period we managed to have conversations about Sunflower Bean, Beth Orton, Bevis Frond and more. I wish him well! He's plugging a gap in Canterbury's cultural scene. I'll make a point of going back every time I'm down. Another record related ritual to observe.

Here's the shop's list of albums of the year:
  1. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
  2. David Bowie - Blackstar
  3. Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion
  4. Syd Arthur - Apricity
  5. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
  6. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
  7. Dinosaur. Jr - Get a glimpse of what yer not
  8. Let's Eat Grandma - I Gemini
  9. Dungen - Haxan
  10. Hinds - Leave Me Alone
  11. Wolf People - Ruins
  12. Goat - Requiem
  13. Sunflower Bean - Human Ceremony
  14. Lapis Lazuli - Wrong Meeting
  15. Causa Sui - Return To Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment