Saturday, November 18, 2017

Adrian Crowley - Dark Eyed Messenger


Three years back in 2014, my favourite album of the year was Irishman Adrian Crowley's Some Blue Morning. I bought it in October of that year and it haunted me and my record player from that point to the end of that year and beyond. Crowley's new offering Dark Eyed Messenger is just out, and it appears on first listening that it's destined to have a similar impact upon me if not quite such a monumental one as Some Blue Morning did.


It won't quite make my Top 50 this time round as it's come out too late, isn't as good as Some Blue Morning, too many good records are jostling for position and he's already had a Number 1 record from me so what more can he ask for! Nevertheless, what Crowley does is breathtakingly simple. Piano-led and sparsely arranged tracks with a lyrical voice that ponders the small wondrous moments of existence and the inevitability of our final destination. Leonard Cohen is definitely very much the pivotal inspirational point. But he's still his own man and I commend him to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment