Monday, November 13, 2017

Albums of the Year # 43 Ibibio Sound Machine - Uyai

From a review back in July:


'Ibibio Sound Machine's album from earlier on this year, Uyai, (their second), was a glorious throwback for me when I first heard it the other day. Not that it's a dated record by any means, just that it took me back to the eighties when I first encountered the first traces of this glorious strand of music. So it made me feel thirty years younger and frankly I'm grateful! They do what they do very well indeed, with frontwoman Eno Williams singing in her mother's native Ibibio, (a language of Nigeria), as well as English, providing  a marriage of folk heritage and modern concerns lyrically and the band supplying a constantly shifting musical sea for the rhythms and melodies to lock into. All about positivity, pride, consciousness and empowerment as this interview with Williams attests.'







No comments:

Post a Comment